02 January 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Spanks - 3

Director - David Fincher

Writers - Eric Roth and Robin Swicord

Starring - Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Julia Ormond and Tilda Swinton

Release Date - 25 December 2008

MPAA Rating - PG-13

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is an interesting concept for a film, but it didn't live up to the expectations I had for it. The makeup and digital special effects to make Cate Blanchett and Brad Pitt look younger and older were brilliant, as was the acting and direction.

A lot happens in the film, but nothing happens. The film starts in 1918 on the eve of the end of World War I and ends in 2005 when hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans. It is narrated by the main character's daughter reading the journal of Benjamin Button to her dieing mother. It goes from the birth of Ben as an old man, to his death as a baby. Ben falls in love, Ben travels the world, people die, Ben comes home, he falls in love again, more people die, he travels again, he comes home, he is a child. If your looking for a climax it never comes. It moves very slowly, it seemed like I was there for longer then the 166 minutes run time.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a thinking film, and it grows on you a little as you think about it more. It is also depressing and sad at times. I think if it were shorter I would have liked it a lot more. If I were you I would wait for the DVD to watch it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The title sounded like a chick flick to me but a woman I know says it is not one. So, this is on my list of movies I want to see.

The plot is sounding vaguely familiar to me. I think I may have read a story similar to this a long time ago.